Chili Cook-Off Information
10th Annual Chili Cook – Off
Sunday, August 25, 2019
- Contest will be located in the beer stand.
- Competition is limited to first 25 contestants.
- You may enter as a single or as a team.
- There is a $10.00 entry fee (nonrefundable)
- You may start cooking at 8:00 a.m.
- Judging is at/about 1:00 p.m.
- Based on the number of entries, there will be a minimum of two judges and no more than 5 judges.
- Tasting bowls will be sold to the public beginning at 1:15p.m.
- There will be a $2.00 donation per bowl. (Proceeds to promote/enhance chili cook-off)
- Chili must be prepared from scratch and cooked on site.
- Minimum 8 quarts of chili.
- At/about 1:00 p.m., Chili staff will bring cups to your locations for samples.
- You must be willing to taste your own chili.
WHAT TO BRING
- Cooking stove and fuel/propane, electric is available but in short supply.
- Cooking pot, cutting board, knife, water, cooler (for meat and perishables).
- Paper towels, spoons, can opener, and whatever it takes to make up a batch of chili.
- The Fair will provide tables (two contestants per table)
JUDGING CRITERA – Competition chili is blind judged on the following criteria. Each criteria is assigned a value of 10 points. Top score would be 50 points (per judge)
- Aroma – Chili should smell appetizing
- Consistency – Chili should be a smooth combination of meat and gravy
- Red Color – Chili should look appetizing.
- Taste – Chili should taste good.
- Aftertaste – Chili should leave a pleasant taste after swallowing.
- All Prizes/Winners will be announced at 1:45.
WHAT TO BRING
- Basic equipment for chili cooking. Showmanship team/individuals must enter the chili cook-off competition.
- Decorations, props, costumes, musical instruments, giveaways, and any other equipment or gear to be used in your theme.
- Theme – Show subject, topic or context should be original
- Costume – Show costumes should promote the show theme
- Booth Setup – Show site should promote the show theme
- Action – Show should be action – oriented
- Audience Appeal – Show should be entertaining to audience
BASIC SHOWMANSHIP RULES
- Must enter chili cook-off.
- No nudity, lewdness, or skullduggery.
- No firearms, dynamite, or explosives of any kind.
- May use battery powered amplification with limited volume so as not to interfere with other contestants.
- Judging will take place at/about 1:00 p.m.
- Judges for chili cook-off will also judge for showmanship.
- First Prize - $100.00 (Best Chili)
- Runner-Up - $50.00 (Second Best Chili)
- Showmanship - $50.00
There will be no parking allowed inside the cooking area. Contestants may enter through the gate off of Peotone - Wilmington Rd. to unload gear. Someone will be at the gate at 8:00 a.m. to let you in and check your registration into the contest.